What is Capoeira?
Capoeira is an elegant martial art that combines elements of fight, acrobatics, music, dance, and ritual.
ABADÁ-Capoeira incorporates a multi-leveled philosophy for the development of capoeira. The philosophy includes the relentless pursuit of the technical mastery of capoeira, on both student and teaching levels; the utilization of the art of capoeira as a valuable pedagogic tool, as well as an artistic and cultural resource; and the transformation of student into teacher through the enlightenment and transfer from the student to the teacher, thus keeping the original value systems of the early capoeira masters, their culture, and their life experiences.
ABADÁ-Capoeira seeks to promote cultural and human values based on respect, socialization and freedom. It hopes to accomplish these goals by spreading the art of capoeira in and through universities, schools, clubs, associations and diverse communities. It also hopes to emphasize the lessons inherent in its Brazilian cultural and historic roots, and by doing so, promoting social integration between people of different backgrounds and classes. While keeping sight of its social goals, ABADÁ-Capoeira also seeks to instill good character, dignity, and strong personal values in its students.
We at ABADÁ-Capoeira understand that capoeira is, and always was, both an ancestral and a futuristic art form. It is the living expression and embodiment of a people who fought for liberty. In this light, we believe it should be practiced with reverence, and it deserves from our part the same respect and attention it was given by its originators. We also realize that capoeira must not cease to evolve. While preserving the values involved, our work points toward the future, embracing changes and advancements, seeking to give capoeira the space and freedom it demands for it to develop to its full potential.
The art of capoeira, like the chameleon, seeks change as a way to preserve its own essence.
ABADÁ Capoeira is a non-profit group whose main objective is to promote capoeira and Brazilian culture, and to use it as an important vehicle and example for social integration and individual growth. It is part of our philosophy to present our culture to all social groups and classes, and by doing so, we hope to keep our roots alive and flourishing.
Updates from our ChapterTweets by @rpicapoeira
- More about the art of Capoeira, it's history, and the cord system from our chapter's archives.
- History, the Roda, and ABADÁ
- A set of databases with schools, famous Mestres, groups, songs, moves (with video), and more.
- An online store associated with Mestre Acordeon's school in San Fransisco.
- An online store.
- A set of databases with schools, famous mestres, some good history, song lyrics, instruments, and more.
- A homepage by another beginner with good illustrations and explanations of a lot of moves.
- Capoeira Basics
- A very useful song database.
- Capoeira Santa-Barbara Song Lyrics
- A workout program from Furacão. Extremely helpful for taking it up a level or staying in shape over vacation.
- Furacão's workout